Whether you are new to boating or have years of experience on the water, it is a good idea to complete a boat safety course in order to earn your Vermont boat license or boating safety card before applying for your Vermont boat registration. Your registration dollars, along with safe use of our state waterways, help to play a role in protecting our natural resources.

When you apply for your Vermont boat registration, you will be issued a registration number that must be displayed on each side of your boat for identification purposes. A boat registration card will also be provided and should be kept in a safe place on board at all times.

Vermont Boat Laws and Regulations

Responsible boaters stay up to date with the laws concerning safe vessel operation. Refresh your knowledge on the Vermont boating laws by taking a boating safety class to obtain your boating safety card (often referred to as a Vermont boat license). Your boating safety card serves as proof that you have satisfied the educational for operating a boat on state waters.

Keep your outings enjoyable by learning about the boating rules of the road, safe navigation, required safety equipment (such as personal flotation devices) and how to handle situations concerning the weather. In addition, there are often unique regulations that apply to specific waterways, so check to see what regulations are in place for the waterway you plan to use.