Your Rhode Island boat registration dollars are important in helping to sustain natural resources that promote safe and responsible use of our nation’s waterways. Make sure you have your boat registration paperwork stored in a safe place on board, and know all of the RI boating regulations before you leave the dock for the first time. 

Boat registration is important since registration helps to identify vessels requesting assistance or vessels that are not operating within the laws or regulations. Check to be sure you have all of the necessary information, such as the bill of sale or boat title, when applying for your registration.

RI Boating Regulations & Laws

Every state has its own set of boating laws, so it is always a good idea to complete a boating education class to help build your water safety and boating skills. Rhode Island boating laws require a boater safety education certificate for boaters under a certain age, so be sure to check the state age requirement.

As a boat operator, you are responsible for the safety of your passengers and others who are using the state waterways. Make sure you have all of the required safety equipment on board, such as U.S. Coast Guard-approved personal floatation devices and visual distress signals, prior to departing for each trip. If you are unsure if you have all of the required equipment, you can request a free Vessel Safety Check (VSC) from the U.S. Coast Guard.