Outdoor recreation can play a vital role in protecting our natural resources. When you register your boat, you do your part in sustaining resources that promote safe and responsible use of our nation's waters. Your registration dollars also help pay for marinas, boat ramps, lake clean up and much more.

Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP):

The KDWP is responsible for regulating the state boating laws in Kansas.

Upon registration the KDWP will issue the boat owner a Certificate of Number as well as a Certificate of Ownership. A vessel does NOT need to be registered with the state if:

  • The vessel is non-motorized (vessels using an electric trolling motor are required to register), or
  • The vessel is registered in another state and has operated on Kansas waters for not more than 60 consecutive days.


  • Documented vessels are now required to register with the KDWP and attach the registration decals to the forward half of both sides of the bow of the vessel in a place that is fully visible.The certificate of registration shall be on board the vessel at all times and available for inspection.


  • The boat excise tax decal is valid for three (3) years. Owners who have already registered their vessel will automatically be sent a renewal notice to their residence.
  • If you change address, you must notify the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks within 15 days of the change.
  • If you transfer ownership of your boat, or it is destroyed, the owner should report it to the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks within 15 days.
  • If you lose or destroy your certificate of registration or decal you must apply to Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks fora duplicate and submit a processing fee.

Titling of boats is not required in the state of Kansas.


Boat owners must keep their Certificate of Ownership in a safe place. 
NOTE On the reverse of the Certificate of Ownership there is an application for the transfer of ownership.

Boat owners must have at least a temporary Certificate of Number before they can operate in State waters. Upon receipt, the permanent Certificate of Number must be signed, carried on board and available for inspection by an enforcement officer whenever the boat or PWC is being operated.

Successful registration results in a certificate of number,physical boat numbers and a decal. Your registration MUST be kept on board the vessel at all times. (It is advisable to keep the registration in a dry-bag on board.) Boat numbers must:

  • be affixed on both sides of the bow
  • be block letters, three inches high and contrasting with the color of your boat
  • letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen:

For example: KA 123BX or KA-123-BX. This is a Federal and state requirement.

Lack of the correct documentation can result in delays and fines. Make sure all boats are properly marked and documented. It's important to keep your papers with the boat - be particularly aware when transferring ownership of your vessel.

*Content provided by www.BoaterExam.com